Day 4 of no processed foods

Day 4 had some surprises in store.  First, this guy specifically requested a banana for his snack, instead of cookies, which is his snack time request. EV.ER.Y. DAY!


Then proceeded to request TWO more!!  Yep, he ate 3 bananas in a row.  SAY WHAAT?!!

On top of that, we resolved one major issue, breakfast cereals.  The first thing the kids have done the last 4 days is rush for the boxes and try to get their hands into the sugar sugary sweet bunches.  soooooo.  We made 2 different kinds of granola.  First a basic granola, found here.  I omitted the brown sugar and the vegetable oil, instead, I added a touch more honey and used coconut oil.  I also added a few random items, like unsweetened shredded coconut, raw pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts.  It is YUUUMMMY!!  Next, we made a peanut butter granola, found here.  I didn’t have peanuts, so added a bit more peanut butter.  This time I just skipped the oil, because I plain forgot, and added baking soda instead of baking powder…. because I haven’t slept through the night in 3 years : ).  I also threw in a whole whack of unsweetened coconut, because I love it.


Here’s a snap of the kid’s lunch plate.  It’s a handful of mixed greens, a little slow-roasted sliced beef (from a local farm), some steamed green beans and carrots, and a little granola.  For dessert, they had applesauce.20150108_120223

For dinner, I decided to try making whole wheat crepes.  However, this recipe had 2 issues.  First, it took a couple attempts to not look like this:


Second, after 1 or 2 ish, unusable crepes, it only made 4 crepes..and we were out of eggs… ummm… ???  Not quite gonna cut it for our crew.  Solution: the kids got the weirdo crepes, and mom and dad got this,20150108_172716

It was awesome!  I sauteed some onions, peppers, and broccoli.  I threw on a bit of cheddar, and a bunch of kidney beans.  We had a side of mixed wild greens with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

In case you are wondering how this all came together with 3 kids, 3 and under… well… it was not exactly seamless… we took many many many hours to do 10 minute jobs.  The kids “helped” lots, and we had to take lots of breaks… we played “what time is it Mr Wolf”, with mom participating from the stove, with the baby in my arms.  And at one point, I had to shut off the burners and just sit and read books with the kids.  But looking back on the day, I am so relieved to have a couple week’s worth of cereal; and snuggling with the kids and a book are what makes up the best moments of mommyhood.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s